The Samsung Galaxy Grand was the big-screened Samsung phone for the masses last season – and one that conveniently offered an extra SIM slot. It didn’t go as far as the Galaxy Mega pair, stopping instead at 5-inches sharp of screen diagonal. This year, the Galaxy Grand 2 needs to be better in every way to get the attention of those who like their phones with big screens and decent price tags.
And, by the looks of it, it does – only topped by the latest flagships in our popularity chart. The Grand 2 improves on every bit that counts. It comes with a bigger 5.25″ display without adding too much body fat – this year’s model is just slightly taller. The bezels have been slimmed down and the resolution has gone up from WVGA (480 x 800) to 720p, resulting in a pixel density of the much more pleasing 280ppi (over 187ppi in the original).
The design has been greatly improved as well: in comes the faux stitched leather at the back, out with the gloss of the older generation. The camera remains the same but processing is more robust, ditching the Broadcom dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU for a quad-core Cortex-A7 made by Qualcomm.
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE; quad-band 3G with HSPA, LTE
- Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- 5.25″ 16M-color 720p capacitive touchscreen; 280ppi
- Android OS v4.3 Jelly Bean, Upgradable to Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Quad-core 1.2GHz Cortex-A7 CPU, Adreno 305 GPU; Qualcomm MSM8226 Snapdragon 400
- 1.5GB of RAM
- 8MP autofocus camera with LED flash, 1080p video recording @ 30fps
- 1.9MP front-facing camera
- Dual-band Wi-Fi b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Wireless Hotspot
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- 8GB of built-in storage
- microSD card slot
- microUSB v2.0
- Bluetooth v4.0
- Stereo FM radio
- Standard 3.5mm audio jack
- Accelerometer and proximity sensor
- 2,600mAh battery; user replaceable
The Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 got a bigger 5.25-inch display, A better battery was obviously in order – and the Galaxy Grand 2 delivered . The processing power was more than doubled with a quad-core CPU, a superior GPU and more RAM. The Android version is a more recent edition too. And now it can be upgraded to more latest version of Android, i.e. Android 4.4.2 (KitKat).